April 27, 2010

# 135 Snatch. (2000)

Fake jews

The first time I tried watching Snatch., I thought it was boring. I don't know if my movie perception has changed so much because I've seen so many good movies or for any other reason, but this time the film was like a breath of fresh air. I have not seen Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels yet, so I can't compare these two movies, but I really enjoyed every single minute of watching Snatch.

The first thing that I noticed about it is that the film is very well paced. I wanted to say "perfectly paced", but at the beginning thing happen too fast, which confused me a little, and I had to keep asking my husband (who has seen it before) who this or that character was. Still I wouldn't call it a flaw because it only makes you wanna watch the movie once again.

The actors put in an excellent performance. Benicio Del Toro is about to become my new favorite actor. I always thought that Brad Pitt was a little too glamorous, but in this film he does a very good job, just like he did six years later in Babel, and three more years later in Ingrourious Basterds. I've never seen the actors that played Sol and Vinny before, but those guys made me laugh big time. And this was a rare occasion when Jason Statham's acting didn't irritate me.

I can't even think of which part of this film I liked best, each word of the script is a masterpiece, with the right touches of dark humour. I loved how the plotlines intertwined, and the editing was good too. Guy Ritchie has earned my respect through films like Sherlock Holmes and Snatch. I'm looking forward to seeing more of his movies.

Favorite quote: "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity".
Interesting fact: Brad Pitt, who was a big fan of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998), approached director Guy Ritchie and asked for a role in this film. When Ritchie found Pitt couldn't master a London accent, he gave him the role of Mickey the Gypsy. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you on this one. It was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost put Snatch in my "dirty dozen." I thought of you and came back to make another comment. One of my favorite parts of the movie is where they have to add sub-titles to understand what Brad Pitt is saying...so funny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, it was hillarious. Now I can't wait to watch Lock, Stock, and Two Smocking Barrels (it' # 170).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't the movie but I will see it now..

    ReplyDelete