April 12, 2010

# 131 The Wrestler (2008)

Lovely couple

I saw The Wrestler at the movies, when it first came out, so it was quite a while ago. It's a drama about an aging wrestler played by Mickey Rourke. Now, a year after having seen the film I realize that it was a good movie artwise, but my first reaction was a feeling of disgust.

I have to admit that Rourke acted to his fullest potential, and that the role fit him very well. But other than that I couldn't find a single thing to like in this movie. It was just too raw for me. I can't stand all of that puking, cutting yourself and other people, drugs and sex-in-the-bathroom kind of stuff. I didn't think that the film was very deep either. I mean yeah, everybody gets old, and then dies. So what? Besides hand-held camerawork irritates me.

I know it's going to be one of the shortest reviews in my blog, and all of The Wrestler's fans are going to hate me for this one, but this is the type of movie I wouldn't wanna watch again.

Favorite quote:"Then that Cobain pussy had to come around and ruin it all".
Interesting fact: The first scene of Randy working the deli counter was improvised. When real customers kept walking up to the counter during filming, Darren Aronofsky told Mickey Rourke to take their orders while the camera would continue rolling. Also improvised were all of the backstage locker room scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment