April 21, 2010

# 134 Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)

Fake martial arts

I think that Tarantino has made some quality movies, including Inglourious Basterds and Pulp Fiction, but Kill Bill: Vol. 1 did not live up to my expectations. It is a very basic revenge story. It's unrealistic and too extreme. However my major problem with this film is not the lack of realism.

The movie is all about style and has no plot. I loved the dialogues in Pulp Fiction, and I loved almost everything about Inglourious Basterds. In Kill Bill the music was good (it was borrowed from Tarantino's soundtrack collection), but that's about it.

This film is badly written and directed. It lacks pace. It contains Tarantino's weird trademarks, but they make absolutely no sense. Like what's the point of bleeping out the bride's name? At the same time when I was watching Kill Bill, all the countless clichés made me think of hundreds of other movies it reminded me of. And I've never been a fan of martial arts films, but I'd rather watch those because this one looks like a parody. Yeah, this film is ingenious, but I don't get what so many people see in it.

Favorite quote: "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'. When you grow up, if you still feel raw about it, I'll be waiting".
Intersting fact: Uma Thurman's yellow track-suit is a direct homage to the one worn by Bruce Lee in Game of Death (1978).

1 comment:

  1. Although I agree that it was my least favorite of QT's movies. I thought it was good, but not up to his standards. Not in the same universe as Pulp Fiction.

    ReplyDelete