April 20, 2010

# 133 Annie Hall (1977)

Allen and Keaton

Annie Hall is a story of two selfish neurotics who fall in love. It takes place in New York, where a comedian played by Woody Allen tries to maintain a relationship with a singer played by Diane Keaton. The movie shows how the relationship changes over the years, and eventually falls apart.

At the beginning the movie seems pretty entertaining. It is innovative in the way the story is being told, but after a while all of these unusual remarks and dialogues get boring. I can't say that any of the characters in this film captured my sympathy. The acting was good, but the character's personalities didn't attract me at all. 

As much as I like the genre of intellectual comedy, I don't understand why Annie Hall is considered a classic. There were a couple of funny moments though. One of them was Woody Allen sneezing into the cocaine. What makes it even funier is that it was an unscripted accident. I thought the joke at the beginning of the movie (about the food at the mountain resort) was good too.

I have only seen a few of Allen's movies so far, but this is not the best one of them. I'm not saying it was a bad film, but it's far from being outstanding.

Favorite quote: "That sex was the most fun I've ever had without laughing".
Interesting fact: At 93 minutes, it is the second shortest film to win the Best Picture Oscar. The shortest film to win the Best Picture Oscar is Marty (1955) at 91 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on this. In fact, the only scene I clearly remember is him and the coke.

    I really like how you keep your reviews short and to the point. Good job!

    ReplyDelete