June 22, 2010

# 144 Ran (1985)

Burning tower

Being a movie critic is a tough job. Sometimes you don't like some of the highly appraised movies, and you have to give an honest review without looking like a complete idiot.

Ran is Kurosawa's fourth movie that made it on IMDb Top 250 list, and the only one of these four that is made in color. It's about a warlord who decides to devide his kingdom between his three sons, which eventually leads to war between the brothers and drives their father insane. Ran can be translated as "chaos", and this is exactly what this movie is.

The pacing is very slow, the scenes with the insane warlord and his jester are so long, and there's so many of them that it starts to get irritating. The dialogues aren't nearly as good as in Yojimbo, and sound really unnatural to me. And I guess I was expecting some kind of an intellectual twist in the story, but the plot is very simple. The acting, in my opinion, was too theatrical. The actor credited as "Peter", who played the jester, was good, but still I didn't feel any sympathy for him, or any other of the characters.

It was a great action film for 1985, with all the battle scenes, which by guess take about eighty percent of the movie's running time, but it has aged so much over the years, that I found myself unable to become engaged in it. The most spectracular scene of this film was probably the one in which the old man calmly sits in the castle tower while it goes up in flames. Unfortunately there weren't many close-ups in this film, for some reason Kurosawa keeps shooting his characters from a distance. The ending was a bit surprising, but not enough to change my perception on the movie.

Favotire quote: "Man is born crying. When he has cried enough, he dies".
Interesting fact: The story was inspired by samurai legends, but also draws on William Shakespeare's "King Lear" as well.

8 comments:

  1. Honest opinion helps everyone especially when wondering what movies to view for yourself and your family.

    Thank You for good honest reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read through every one of your reviews, but you skewer some real classics, save Tillett's Lebowksi. It's just a shame that there are no Russian/Soviet title is in top 250 (unless I missed one). Not that I want you reviewing The Battleship Potemkin, but I have heard that only the Russians truly understand Tarkovsky's The Mirror.

    Your English is great so don't worry about that. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your support DanWins...
    Jump_Raven, I think that as long as I explain my point of view, I can skewer anything I want =) I'm not a big fan of Russian/Soviet movies, but there are some good ones, like The Barber of Siberia or Burnt By The Sun (not the sequel). Some Russian movies have a very high rating, but not enough votes (I think there has to be at least 15,000). Check out 12 Chairs (or 12 Stulyev).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to see Burnt By The Sun and 12, but I have never heard of The Barber of Siberia. I will have to track that one down.

    Please continue to skewer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't like 12, it's a remake of 12 Angry Men. In my opinion it doesnt bring anything new to the story, besides, I don't like Mikhalkov's acting (even though he was OK in Burnt by The Sun).

    There is this Russian novel, 12 Chairs, and there are two movies based on it. Their ratings are 8.6 and 8.5, but they don't have enough votes, so they are not on the list. Anyways, I just finished reading the novel, and planning to watch both of these movies this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry I saw 12 and jumped to conclusions. 12 Chairs...I'm pulling my Russian cinema book out...I knew that movie sounded familiar. It's by Leonid Gaidai. My book also recommends Ivan Vasilevich Changes Profession from the same director among other comedies he did in the 60's. Mel Brooks also adapted the book and so did the Cubans apparently. Pretty popular book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's also 12 Chairs (12 Stulyev) by Mark Zakharov. I don't know which version I'm going to watch first, but I'll probably watch both this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fun fact: Kurosawa was legally blind when he made Ran.

    ReplyDelete