June 9, 2010

# 140 Into the Wild (2007)

Self-analysis

Into the Wild is a true story about a guy who decided to give up his ordinary life to go hitchhiking, and, later on, live in the wilderness in Alaska. The idea didn't impress me that much at first. It's hard for me to understand someone who gives up everything, and burns his money. Was his life really that bad? I don't think so. The fact that he wasn't happy with his parents doesn't explain his behaviour. There are a lot of kids that dislike and even hate their parents.

Besides, I don't get why he was so proud of not taking anything with him if he still lived in someone else's bus. If you want to live in the wild, why don't you sleep on the ground, or find yourself a cave or something? Another thing I did not like is that they showed the main character, Chris, as a very talented, smart and good-looking you man. Why do they have to show someone who is "all that" to make us like him?

However, I found the second part of the movie very moving. The first thing that attracted me is that this film is about someone who is not afraid to do what his heart is telling him to do with his life. So many people are doing something everybody's expecting them to do, never thinking about what they really want. Secondly, towards the end of the movie, the main idea was starting to become more and more clear (I will quote it in the Favorite quote section of the review), and I found myself agreeing with it as I watched the last twenty movutes of the movie.

I think Emile Hirsch played well, and looked somewhat like the main character in real life. Also, as I have already mentioned in my previous reviews, I give extra points to movies that are based on true stories =) So, congratulations, Alexander Supertramp, you are on my "good" list!

Favorite quote: "Happiness only real when shared".
Interesting fact: Shot on location, except for the bus scenes. According to Sean Penn they abandoned the idea of shooting at the real bus out of respect for Christopher and the McCandless family. Instead, they built a set in the wilderness, with an exact replica of the real bus.

6 comments:

  1. I found you by hitting the "next blog" button. Although I didn't agree at all with your review of the "The big lebowski," I like the idea of your blog and you write pretty darn well. If you don't mind, I'm gonna tag along!
    thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, this means so much to me, especially given that English is not my first language =) A lot of people don't agree with me on The Big Lebowski, I guess it's just not my type of movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This movie affected me at a very deep emotional level. I don't think I can watch it again - it broke my heart. I know what "that" feels like and I saw a bit of myself in Christopher McCandless - especially at that age. Penn did a remarkable thing with an already remarkable book.

    Great blog ... I'll be following.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tyrie. It is very touching, and I can only imagine how much to someone who can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized that although I didn't see this movie, I did read the book. I was left with the same feeling you had. I had no idea it was made into a movie. I'm going to have to check it out.

    Also, your English is VERY good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Pat. Let us know what you think if you get to watch it.

    ReplyDelete