June 20, 2010

# 142 Yojimbo (1961)

Tough guy

Yojimbo is a story about a samurai without a master who comes two a village devided by two feuding gangs, and, of course, he wants to free the town. But he's not trying to simply cut the bad guys' heads off, he is two smart for that. Instead, he decides to play them against each other.

Actually I was stuck with this one for a while, as I watched it a week ago, but couldn't force myself to write  review until now. There's been to many samurai movies lately, and there's more to come. As good as they are, it's hard for me to watch old japanese movies, it makes me feel like I'm watching the same movie over and over again. Kurosawa is a great director, but I don't like the camera work that much,  especially when they're shooting outside, it's sometimes hard to tell what's going on.

What makes this movie more special to me then other Kurosawa's movies, is the fact that this is the movie Rachel and Frank watched in The Bodyguard (1992) when they went on their first date. LOL, I know, I know, some people hate it, but when I was growing up it was my most favorite movie of all times, so I thought that since it's not on the list, I'll write a little bit about it in this post.

Anyway, back to Yojimbo. The plot was good. I loved how the main character fooled one of the villains when he reunited an abducted woman with her family. Some dialogues were very witty, which I really enjoyed. I cant say that I liked all of the actors' performance. Some of them, for example the gunfighter, didn't look realistic to me, but Oriental acting is a bit different from Hollywood acting, and I'm starting to get used to it, so it wasn't a big problem.

Favorite quote: "Kill one or a hundred. You only hang once".
Interesting fact: Later remade as Per un pugno di dollari (1964) (American title A Fist Full of Dollars with Clint Eastwood and remade as Last Man Standing (1996/I) with Bruce Willis.

No comments:

Post a Comment