June 16, 2010

# 141 The Big Sleep (1946)

Bogart rocks!

The Big Sleep is a movie about a private detective hired by a rich man to get the blackmailer off his daughter's back. It is based on a novel, and the title is probably explained in the book, however, I've never read it, so I have no idea why the movie is called "The Big Sleep".

I think the main problem of this film is that they tried to put too much plot into it. I've seen it happen with so many films that are based of book (The Da Vinci Code being the brightest example). Seriously, the plot is very hard ot follow. When I first started watching this movie I had to stop it and start all over because I could not understand a thing. Some of the main characters never appear in the movie, and are being talked about so much that it gets confusing.

There is a lot of sexual innuendo in the movie. Note that is was filmed in the age of Hays office censorship, so many things from the novel were presented discreetly, and I didn't understand what they were about until I read about it in Wikipedia.

What I loved the most was, of course, Humphrey Bogart's acting. I'm amazed how such a short skinny man with a lisp managed to become a sex symbol. The greatest witty lines in the movie come out of his character's mouth too. Here is one of them.

Favorite quote: "She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up".
Interesting fact: Due to Humphrey Bogart's affair with co-star Lauren Bacall, his marital problems escalated during filming, and his drinking often resulted in his being unable to work. Three months after the film was finished, Bacall and Bogart were married.

4 comments:

  1. You are so right. This may the most complicated, hard to follow movie I've ever seen. In spite of those things I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Pat, have you seen ALL of the 250 movies I'm going to review? You sure have seen a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erm, forget Bogart ... Lauren Bacall is smokin' in this film! She is the sexiest woman from this era of Hollywood. She steals it in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Tyrie, I think the women in contemporary movies look a lot more attractive than they did back then. I just don't really like the hair styles and the make up they wore LOL.

    ReplyDelete