November 24, 2010

# 172 Twelve Monkeys (1995)

Mental hospital

Twelve Monkeys is a post apocalyptic drama about a convict who is sent back in time to 1990s in order to gather the information about the epidemic that wiped out 99 percent of human population. In "the past" he gets in trouble with the authorities, wanted for murder and kidnapping. He also refuses to go back to the future and falls in love with the woman he kidnapped.

When I first watched this movie, I was probably around twelve years old, and I found it weird and boring. After that I watched it a few more times, and I gradually grew to like it. The first thing that attracted me was Pitt's acting. To me this was the role that made me realize that he is more than just a pretty boy. I honestly don't think I've seen anybody do a better job portraying a psycho.

This film touches upon such issues as totalitarian society, both in the future, where the main character has to do everything he is told by a group of scientists, and in the past, when he gets locked up in a mental hospital. But this is not the main theme of the movie. Being very sympathetic to environmental concerns, I also find it interesting how the movie shows us that any idea can turn into a disaster in the hands of a madman.

My favorite part in this movie is when the main character starts doubting his own sanity. He'd rather believe that he has a multiple personality disorder, than that he comes from a world destructed by a lethal virus. He convinces himself that everything that happens in the future is nothing but hallucinations, and wants to be cured. My least favorite part is the sentimental stuff towards the end of the movie, but who knows, I might grow to like even that part next time I watch it.

Interesting fact: A tagline originally suggested for this film was; "The future is in the hands of a man who has none." This was considered to be a confusing tagline, as it made it sound as though he had no hands, as opposed to having no future.
Favorite quote: "There's no right, there's no wrong, there's only popular opinion".

4 comments:

  1. 12 monkeys is a really great film, my favourite directed by Gilliam. You could call Brazil his best film from the 80s, and for me this is Gilliam's masterpiece of the 90s. The music is so haunting, gives me goosebumps! A thoughtful story about free will/choice you can interpret, not just another dumb bruce willis action movie.
    The story is ambiguous, could all be a crazy man's thoughts! Certainly requires to be seen more than once I think.
    You're right, Pitt's acting is up there with some of his best work.

    Not sure if you are aware of this, but the film is partly inspired by a short film "La jetee" (1962), which you can find on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one. Weird? oh Yeah! Deep? yup!
    I haven't seen in it a while, I think I'm readdy for another go at it...

    hey, I've been voting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ moviesandsongs365 Brazil is on the list too, so I'm going to be watching it soon. I've heard that it was inspired by La jetee, but haven't seen it yet.
    @ Pat, thanks for voting, I don't have much of a chance there, but it means a lot to me though.

    ReplyDelete