November 15, 2010

# 169 The Grapes of Wrath (1940)

Truck

The Grapes of Wrath is a drama based on John Steinbeck's novel of the same title. It tells us about a family struggling to survive during the Great Depression. After losing their farm in Oklahoma they travel across the United States trying to find a job. Several of their family members die along the way, and the ones that are still alive have to stay in migrant camps and work for pennies.

My first viewing of this film happened in high school, in US history class. I was tired, bored, and falling asleep. I also had to write a paper on it, and since I didn't get it, it wasn't very easy. You get the idea. My second viewing was more successful, as I knew that it's considered one of the best movies in movie history (at least based on the rating and the fact that it was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress), and also was aware of the historical background.

The film is very compelling. Most of all I liked Ma Joad for being such a strong and wise woman. You rarely see women like this in old Hollywood movies. And I think grandpa and grandma were adorable too, especially in the scene where they were all sitting at the table, right before Tom's return. I also liked the southern accent a lot.

In my opinion, the movie focuses extensively on Tom, portrayed by Henry Fonda. There was a funny episode involving him that I really enjoyed though. Right after he returns home, every family member asks him if he "bust out" of prison, and he has to explain that he's on parole, and that he "got his papers". Overall I think that the movie is too long, and the final part, with all of its monologues, was unnecessary, but other than that, it's pretty interesting, and I'm glad I got a chance to watch it again and re-evaluate it.

Interesting fact: The novel's original ending was far too controversial to be even considered for a film in 1940. It involved Rose-of-Sharon Rivers (Dorris Bowdon) giving birth to a stillborn baby and then offering her milk-filled breasts to a starving man, dying in a barn.
Favorite quote: "Seems like the government's got more interest in a dead man than a live one".

2 comments:

  1. Always liked Fonda's speech at the end, but the whole salt of the earth thing was a bit much. It makes me think of the line, "wash the salt into the earth" from Rush's song Bastille Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great movie and an even better book.
    Hard times, for sure...

    ReplyDelete