November 6, 2010

# 167 V for Vendetta (2006)

Rain

The plot of V for Vendetta is set in the near future, in Britain, ruled my a totalitarian government. A masked freedom fighter, known as "V" is planning a rebellion. He also avenges the ones who disfigured him and does all sorts of fun things in the process. A young woman, whom he saves from being raped, complicates his plans even more. As a result we have an incredible mix of a dystopia, a thriller, an action movie and a love story.

As a college student I loved the genre of dystopia, and I think I've read too many of these novels. Don't get me wrong, I think this movie offers a very good graphic representation of the idea, and is way better than Equilibrium (2002) which has a lot in common with it, except for it's too primitive. But at the same time I feel that everything that could have been said about it, was said back in 1920s - 1940s by Zamyatin, Huxley and Orwell, when the subject was the most relevant. So if the movie was all about the idea, it would have ruined it for me.

Fortunately, there is also a very complex plot in V for Vendetta, and this is that made this film so enjoyable for me. The most interesting part was the story of V's origin, his incarceration in the detention center, and his vengeance. What I liked the least were the action scenes, with all the slow motion and flying daggers. Talking about the love line, I don't think it was so important, but I didn't seem out of place either. After all, I believe that most women who became part of revolutionary movements, did it because they fell in love with revolutionary activists.

It was good to see Stephen Rea in this movie, he is a very talented actor, who became internationally known after playing the lead role in The Crying Game (the movie I highly recommend to everyone). Another thing I would like to mention is the dialogues. They are very witty and poetic, a little bit too intense at the beginning, but you get used to it after a while. The pacing is good, especially for an adapted screenplay. It' amazing how the Wachowski brothers managed to fit so much plot into one movie.

Interesting fact: The cast and crew were only allowed to shoot near the British Parliament and the Clock Tower from midnight to 4:30 am, and they could only stop traffic for four minutes at a time.
Favorite quote: "I killed you ten minutes ago. While you slept".

7 comments:

  1. I watched this movie when it first came out in the UK, and loved it, and I thought I was the only one who thought that way until now. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this movie while very distracted (by other people). So it was really hard for me to follow. I need to see it again! Maybe this time alone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't been here in awhile and playing catch up with blogs I have missed.

    One of the Better Movies dealing with "Big Brother", "Eye in your House" government.

    A movie I think all Government officials should watch as a warning to not screw with the governed.

    Sorry, My 2 cents worth there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just became a follower, so I thought I'd leave my first comment. Feel free to visit my blog any time ( :

    What interested me the most about the V for vendetta was how it commented on contemporary events, I think it was mostly in the Stephen Fry scenes. I would agree the dialogue is intense, maybe they tried to jam too much into the time frame. Due to this I felt I needed to see the film twice.

    Nevertheless, I still liked the film, the images, and I'll never forget the line "remember remember the 5th of november", so haunting in the trailer ( :

    from moviesandsongs365

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Pat, when I was watching it for the first time, there were a lot of people in the room, and I kept getting distracted too, so when I was watching it again a week ago, I had no idea about what was going to happen LOL.

    @DanWins, I couldn't find the movie you mentioned in the database. Are you sure that this is what's it called, Eye In Your House?

    @Dempsey Sanders, see you're not the only one who liked it, there is a least three of us on this blog, and I believe there's a lot more out there since the movie is on IMDb's Top 250 list.

    @moviesandsongs365, welcome to the blog. Funny I didn't know Stephen Fry until I watched this movie. It turns out that he's a very famous person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Minoccio,

    Sorry wasn't referencing a movie. I was using the ""s to de-mark various references to how you could name government that has the need to be in everyones home.

    Sorry for the mis-leading way it sounded, that was not the intent.

    Danny

    ReplyDelete