March 29, 2010

# 129 There Will Be Blood (2007)

I run a family business

There Will Be Blood is a story about a silver miner who discovers oil in the shaft and starts his own oil company. This is one of those movies shows a different historical period or a different region so well that it makes you want to learn more about that period or region. I really liked the way Paul Thomas Anderson portrayed the lives of people who lived in the western United States at the beginning of 20th century. At the same time the film tells us a story about a man whose mind is possessed by greed and desire of power, universal features of human nature.

Many people, as well as myself, find lengthy films hard to watch. This movie is 2 hours 38 minutes long, and I can't say that the plot seemed very interesting to me. However, it was compensated by some solid acting and horror-like score (by the way, written by Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead). The music reminded me of TV Series Lost. The cinematography was also beautiful. 

It's a dramatic film, but there are elements of comedy in it. The funniest part was the scene of the main character's baptism. Pastor Eli made me laugh a couple more times during the film. I find this character very hard to like though.

Overall, the movie is good, and I think it deserves being on the list. If you like The Treasure of The Sierra Madre, which was the director's inspiration for this movie, you'll probably enjoy watching this one too.

Favorite quote: "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!"

Interesting fact: The fictional character of Daniel Plainview bears some resemblance to a real, early 20th-century California oil tycoon named Edward L. Doheny. Both were from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin; both were employed by Geological Survey and worked in Kansas; both tried a hand at mining before going into the oil business; and both worked with a fellow prospector named "H. B. Ailman."

2 comments:

  1. "There Will Be Blood" is awsome...one of the best movies I've seen for a while. If you like you to laugh, here is a funny version of the milkshake scene from the movie "41 year-old Virgin." Milkshake clip on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwEljxtwgtk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. I loved how he quoted Kelis' Milkshake sing.

    ReplyDelete