March 25, 2010

# 128 Notorious (1946)

Best scene in the movie

Alfred Hitchcock's fans are going to hate me for this one...

I don't want to go into details about the plot, but basically Notorious is a combination of love story and espionage story. In reality, all we see in this movie is a pseudo love triangle between an incompetent spy, a fallen woman, and a Nazi. Come on, do really really beleive that a secret agent could fall in love after a drunk date? Aside from all missteps in the plot, the film is simply too slow-paced. Three Hollywood stars (Ingrid Bergman, Cary Grant, and Claude Rains) fail to deliver their best performance this time.

There is one thing I liked about the movie though, it's the final scene (the one involving the staircase). This is the only scene in this film that is likable, Hitchcock finally manages to build the tension that I expected to see throughout the whole film. Technically the movie is pretty good, but emotionally it didn't engage me at all.

This is the worst movie by Alfred Hitchcock I've seen so far.

Favorite quote: "We are protected by the enormity of your stupidity, for a time".
Interesting fact: Mission Impossible II is a remake of this film

1 comment:

  1. Hi Svetlana,
    As you already know, I've been posting stories (later to be chapters, I hope), relating to my experiences in boot camp. Due to some gremlins in blogger, most of them didn't show up on anyone's dashboard. (including mine). So I posted links to them on a page called "USMC Boot Camp," it's right under the header. They all posted this morning in one big batch. I'm not sending you this as "pressure" to read them, but rather to let you know they are there, if you want to. thanks

    pat

    ReplyDelete