December 19, 2010

# 178 The Incredibles (2004)

Superheroes

The Incredibles is a computer-animated film about a family of superheroes. The father (Mr. Incredible) and the mother (Elastigirl) used to be the best crime fighters in the city, but now, after a surge of lawsuits, they and their three children are forced to hide their abilities and live a normal life. One day Mr. Incredible, who cannot wait for get back into action, travels to a mysterious island for a top secret assignment.

The movie came out five years after Pixar's Toy Story 2 and a year after Finding Nemo, but to me it stands pretty much on the same level, so this time I will not agree with those who say that the studio outdoes itself with every movie it makes. It's true in most cases, but not this time because we see the same texture-less surfaces and characters that look like plastic dolls as we saw in previous Pixar's works.

Still it's a very good film that can be found interesting by both, kids and their parents. As a matter of fact it's good for all age groups because the main characters are: Dash, a kid who cares about nothing but fooling around; Violet, a shy teenage girl who is having her first crush; and a married couple who go through the same problems all couples go through. The relationships and the dialogues in this movie are pretty realistic for a cartoon.

The movie is very funny, the people who provide jokes for Pixar's films surely have a very good sense of humor. A lot of jokes revolve around getting older, losing shape, and going through a mid-life crisis. I felt like there was too much action towards the end of the film, and after a ten-minute action sequence I just start losing track of what's going on, but I know that this is common for all superhero flicks.

Interesting fact: In order to give Dash a realistic out-of-breath voice, Brad Bird made Spencer Fox run laps around the studio.
Favorite quote: "No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again. Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit? I feel like the maid; I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

6 comments:

  1. "The Incredbiles" is my favorite Pixar flick and one of my all time favorite animated movie. It was dynamic, extremely funny, beautifully animated and thoroughly enjoyable. I loved everything about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Incredibles is one of my top favorite Pixar movies. I thought it was hilarious and had great character development.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember feeling exhausted after viewing this film! Maybe it was a little overlong.

    I liked the first half the most, which was more about the characters than the action scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im dissapointed in myself for not watching this yet, 2011 will be the year i sit down and watch this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey therte!
    I really liked this one! I was surprised that I did...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like a lot of people loved this one. Now that it's been a while after I watched it, I'm starting to think that it's a bit overrated, but, as all of Pixar's flicks, it's a top quality animated film.
    Dempsey, I guess you got a new year's resolution.
    moviesandsongs365, I agree that the first half was more interesting.

    ReplyDelete