December 16, 2010

# 177 The Princess Bride (1987)

Masked

The Princess Bride is a story presented as a book being read by a grandfather to his sick grandson. A young woman Buttercup accepts a proposal from a prince, despite the fact that she is still in love with a farm boy who tragically died at sea when seeking his fortune. Right before the wedding she is kidnapped by three outlaws who intend to instigate an international conflict. Soon they found out that they are being pursued by the same pirate who is believed to have killed Buttercup's lover.

I watched parts of the film when I was little, but wasn't mature enough to appreciate the satirical humor. This time I thought that it's a fun, easy-to-watch movie, but it didn't linger in my mind the next day. To me the biggest flaw is that Buttercup doesn't really have a personality, her character is too stereotypical. I'm not sure if it's the script, or may be it's just Robin Wright's acting. After all, movie requires more acting skills than a 1980s TV show (at the age of six, I loved Santa Barbara).

My favorite scene is when Westley defeats the outlaws who kidnapped Buttercup. There's some good action in it, it's witty, and just really really enjoyable. Another good one is when the magician is trying to bring "mostly dead" Westley back to life. Like I have already said, the movie is a fun ride, but at the same time not that funny. In a way it's a lot like Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but to me it wasn't nearly as good.

Interesting fact: Mel Smith (The Albino) has confessed to never having watched his performance in this film due to the painful experience involved in filming the role. His character required him to wear coloured contact lenses and, unknown to Smith and the costume department at the time, he was actually allergic to the lens solution used. This meant that Smith was in constant pain and discomfort throughout filming; hence, he is reluctant to relive the memory.
Favorite quote: You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

5 comments:

  1. I grew up on this film. A friend of mine dressed up as Wesley for Halloween. I agree about Buttercup, but I think it is done on purpose. All the characters are pretty shallow because it's a fairy tale being brought into existence through Peter Falks' narration.

    Remember, never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line. That and beware six fingered men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with Westley. You're definitely right about Buttercup not having much of a personality. She was damn lucky to get Westley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I probably would have liked this film more, if I had discovered it when I was younger.
    Watched Princess Bride for the first time this year and was underwhelmed. Maybe it's more of a film for teenagers, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I used to love this because I would watch anything with Fred Savage out of the Wonder Years in it who plays the sick grandson in this one. Loved the movie when I was a young lad, havn't watched it in years

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw it with a couple of my kids and really liked it. Haven't seen it since though...
    good review!

    ReplyDelete