August 31, 2010

# 158 Gone with the Wind (1939)

Corsette

Gone with the Wind is a movie about the life of a plantation owner's daughter, who is considered very beautiful, but also selfish and manipulative. She spends most of her life thinking that she's in love with one man, but it the end it turns out that all of her feelings were an illusion. Most of it is set in the days of the Civil War, and it also shows how the war changed people's lives.

I enjoyed the movie a lot, but just about as much as I liked the movie, I hated the main character, Scarlett O'Hara. I mean she is a very annoying person, and I don't think she's nearly as attractive as Melanie Hamilton. I guess spoiled people, especially women, really get on my nerves. She did grow as a person towards the end of the movie, but why did she have to go through all these things to realize something so simple? Does it really take that long? So basically I believe that she got what she deserved.

All the other characters, on the other hand, are a lot more likable, and I wish they life stories weren't so sad. Ashley and Melanie are very sweet, the latter doesn't even have any flaws, so I'm not sure if people like Melanie really exist. Clark Gable is a little too funny-looking for the role, but he after a while I got used to that.

The second part of the movie has more conversation and less action, which made me like it more, whereas my husband liked it less than the first part. The cinematography is good for the time, and so is the acting. I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to put it down because of all the flaws I've mentioned, but what I enjoyed the most about it is the story itself. I never finished reading the book, so may be that's what I should do.

Interesting fact: David O. Selznick begged Margaret Mitchell, author of the novel, to critique every aspect of the production. An intensely private person, Mrs. Mitchell gave one criticism of the facade of the design for Tara, which was ignored. Afterward, she refused to comment on any aspect of the film during production.
Favorite quote: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".

6 comments:

  1. This film always gets mixed reactions. I couldn't stand Scarlett either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about Scarlett.
    I know this movie has been rated as one of the all time greats by almost everyone, but it was never on my list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I found someone who agrees with me on Scarlett. My husband doesn't LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand how Scarlett can be annoying, but I felt sorry for her during the movie. I think what makes the story interesting is the evolution of the character, how a spoiled girl became a woman during these terrible events.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was never a huge fan of this, maybe just completely not my kind of film, and yes, Scarlett just annoyed me so much. The other half will disagree with me totally saying its one of the best films of all time and I did not appreciate it, but it failed to keep me entertained after 45 minutes. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey well I had the guts to criticize The Big Lebowski, and I'm still alive.

    ReplyDelete