August 23, 2010

# 156 The Graduate (1967)

In bed

The Graduate is a movie about a troubled young man who has just graduated from college and is home for the summer. A one-night stand with his parents' friend Mrs. Robinson turns into a relationship, but things get even more messed up what he falls in love with her daughter. The whole story is told in a bitter-comic manner (that I like so much).

I can't find the words to describe how awesome this film is. The director masterfully depicts how it feels to be young and experience all the pressures and expectations from you parents when you don't really feel like doing anything with your life. Another thing I can relate to is being in a relationship with someone my parents would never approve of.

As you can see, this movie is very personal to me in many ways, and it's very very realistic. One of the things that contributed to it is the cinematography, and all the camera techniques used in this film. My favorite two scenes are the party at the beginning, and the seduction scene. I think they are shot perfectly, and this helps us understand what exactly Ben feels at the moment, it makes us feel as if we were there. The wonderful music of the sixties also compliments the film.

I probably would have thought that it's a Woody Allen film, if I hadn't known that it was directed by a different person. The movie is composed of two parts: before and after Ben's relationship with Mrs. Robinson is revealed. They are very different, even stylistically, and I liked the first part a little better, but the second part was good too.

Interesting fact: In Dustin Hoffman and Anne Bancroft's first encounter in the hotel room, Bancroft did not know that Hoffman was going to grab her breast. When Hoffman did it onscreen, director Mike Nichols began laughing loudly offscreen. Hoffman began to laugh as well, so rather than stop the scene, he turned away from the camera and walked to the wall. Hoffman banged his head on the wall, trying to stop laughing, and Nichols thought it was so funny, he left it in.

Favorite quote: Mrs. Robinson: Isn't there something you want to tell me?
Benjamin: Tell you?
Mrs. Robinson: Yes.
Benjamin: Well, I want you to know how much I appreciate this. Really.
Mrs. Robinson: The number.
Benjamin: What?
Mrs. Robinson: The room number, Benjamin. I think you ought to tell me that.
Benjamin: Oh, you're absolutely right. It's 568.

5 comments:

  1. One of my favorites too. I love how they don't kiss at the end of the film. That and the fact that there was only a 6 year difference between Hoffman and Bancroft in reality. It's such a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah but you could tell that he's actually older than 20.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite movies, too. It does have a Woody Allen vibe about it. That part that you quoted always makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dustin was just superb in this, really loved the movie as a whole and have not watched it in such a long time, I have to order it, last time I saw it was on VHS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. VHS LOL, you're right, it's been a very long time...

    ReplyDelete