August 19, 2011

# 193 Ed Wood (1994)

Ed Wood

I took the longest break from blogging ever! First, my husband and I were moving to a new place, and we didn't have Internet access there for a while. Besides, we were too busy buying all the stuff we needed. By the time I realized that I haven't written a review in, like, forever, and that I have probably lost all of my followers (which didn't happen for unknown reason), it was really hard to get back on track, so I decided that I was on a summer break. We never stopped watching movies though, so now I have 17 movies to review! I'll try to catch up soon, so I'm sorry if some of my reviews seem too brief, I'll try to do the best I can.

So, Ed Wood. It's a life story of a filmmaker who is known for making spectacularly bad horror movies. It also talks about his cross-dressing habits and his friendship with his long-time idol Bela Lugosi. I try not to read anything about the movie I'm planning to watch, but in this case it was a mistake.

I had no idea who ed Wood was prior to seeing this film, so imagine my reaction when I was thinking that it was some made-up story. I couldn't help thinking "what type of a weirdo you have to be to come up with a plot like this!" I guess this fact messed up my perception of the movie.

Later, when I was reading Ed Wood's biography in Wikipedia, I realized that the movie was pretty accurate in depicting the details of his life, but when I was watching it, I totally hated it. Thinking back about it, I think it's funny how, while shooting a film, Ed Wood hardly ever ordered a retake, even when the scene turned out very bad. Now, every time we watch a lousy movie, especially if it's a horror movie, it makes us think of Ed Wood.

Interesting fact: This film cost more to produce than all of Edward D. Wood Jr.'s films put together.
Favorite quote: "Cut! That was perfect!"

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! So nice to see you here. Real life comes first!
    I really liked this movie. Odd, but good. Johnny Depp is one of my absolute favorites in these odd roles. He did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you're back, I was afraid we'd lost you there ( :

    I actually liked the film, what did you hate?For me, great acting and atmosphere, the friendship between Lugosi and Wood was weird and heart-warming. Ed had a good heart, too bad he couldn't direct.

    My favourite scene is in the pool at night, when Lugosi splashes about with the creature, "the waters not heated?" Ed Wood: It will soon warm up once you get in... ha ha. I agree with Pat, I enjoy Depp in these odd-ball roles, don't care for his recent mainstream work

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of you on Johny Depp. These mainstream works are starting to get annoying.

    ReplyDelete