October 10, 2010

# 163 The Thing (1982)

Kurt Russell

The Thing is a movie about American scientists working in Antarctica. They come across a parasitic alien organism capable of imitating its victims whether it's dogs or human beings. It's a story of paranoia and not being able to trust your teammates because you don't know which one of them may be infected. But in the end, none of it matters because they have nowhere to go to escape from this thing.

This is the first time I'm reviewing a horror movie (The Sixth Sense doesn't count as IMDb doesn't label it as "horror"), and I can say that it really impressed me because along with Alien and Aliens, the special effects don't look tacky, even though all of these sci-fi movies were made in the eighties. I watched the director's commentary where John Carpenter said that their goal was to shoot a black-and-white movie in color. They did an excellent job, and it really helped create the atmosphere and make all rubber alien things look natural. The scene where one of the characters had his arms bitten off is probably one of the scariest movie moments I've seen in my life. It's also amazing what they did with the reverse motion photography and how many special effects they created using this technology.

The pacing in this movie is good, you have enough time to understand what's happening, but at the same time there is something going on in every scene, you receive little pieces of information every minute, and you also get to see how different characters react to this situation. Psychology is very important in this movie because it really makes you feel like you can't trust anybody, and slowly you start to realize that there is no way out. This feeling intensifies and reaches its peak towards the end. The whole part with the blood test was awesome, it explains a lot about the nature of the thing, and it's also very thrilling, probably the best part of the film.

I liked the acting in this film. Only when I started writing this review I realized that Childs was played by young Keith David. In my opinion the best actor in this movie was the dog. This half wolf/half husky was an excellent animal actor, never looking at the camera, as if he understand what he's supposed to do, this dog performed perfectly. The Thing is a classic and definitely deserves a spot on the list.

Interesting fact: The Norwegian camp scenes were actually the charred remains of the American site from the end of the film. Rather than go to the expense of building and burning down another camp, John Carpenter re-used the destroyed American camp.
Favorite quote: "Maybe we're at war with Norway?"

10 comments:

  1. I loved this movie! Oh yeah, it also scared the crap out of me...It is indeed a classic. I heard that there was a remake, or maybe a prequel being made right now. Have you heard that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I've heard that they are working on a remake. I don't see what's the point though, I mean it still looks good now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a bad flick for its time but with the changes in Tech over the years I imagine it could make for some really interesting "Creature" abilities and "SCARRRRRRRYYYYYY" Moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Thing is itself a remake of Howard Hawks' The Thing From Another World. You picked up on the trust part. In Hawks' films the characters have to learn to trust each other in order for the plot to resolve. So Carpenter made a small change to the creature and you can see the interesting effect it had. They are also planning to remake the remake.

    Carpenter is quite the director. They Live is probably the most clever of his films.

    By the way, this and your previous review were good. You're definitely improving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DanWins, to me the movie was attractive because they managed to make it so good without all the special effects we have today. That's the problem of the majority of the scary and sci-fi movie they make nowadays, they pay too much attention to special effects, and forget about other important components, like the idea, the plot or the atmosphere.

    Jump_Raven, thanks, it means a lot. Also it's easier for me to review the films that really impressed me. I was wondering which of his films to check out, now that you've mentioned it, I'll definitely try to find They Live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did like this movie a lot, and I guess a remake might be good with the tech these days. Another great post. I have been trying to e-mail you actually, you have been nominated for best newcomer in a contest themovie411 is holding. More info on that just e-mail Christian James at themovie411@live.co.uk , hes the one dealing with nominations

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is cool, I'm reading the rules right now, what an honor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael, you have an awesome blog, that's the least I could do to draw more attention to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the nomination!!! I'm so excited!

    Nice post! I like what you said about the dog. I love animal actors, they almost always impress me.

    ReplyDelete