September 12, 2010

# 160 Groundhog Day (1993)

Phil and Phil

Groundhog Day is a story of a pretty arrogant weatherman who goes to a small town to cover a story about a weather forecasting groundhog, and has to relive the same day over and over again. He goes through highs and lows, realizing that no matter what he does, even if it's a crime or suicide, the next morning he will wake up in the same bed in a hotel room. So basically he can do whatever he want, but the only change that will ever be possible must happen within himself.

First of all I would like to say a couple of words about the actors. Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell were great as lead actors here, but the most charismatic was Chris Elliott who played Larry. Andie MacDowell is a beautiful woman, and it first it was hard for me to believe that Murray could fit into the role of a womanizer, but he played very convincingly. And Larry was funny as hell.

I liked how this movie showed relationships between men and women. I like how it shows us that even the most unapproachable women are attracted to popular men. As I've mentioned many times before, I'm not a fan of romantic comedies, but there was absolutely nothing in this film that I found annoying. Early drafts of the script explained that Phil's disaffected ex-lover called Stephanie cast a spell on him to teach him a lesson. I'm glad it was cut from the film because it could have turned the movie into a disaster.

The film has quite a few good jokes, the type of jokes that never go out of style, but it's not a pure comedy. Every time the main character wakes up in the morning, you hear the same music, see all the same things, and realize that there's no way out of this. It's so depressing. Groundhog Day is the most interesting mixture of funny and sad I've seen in my life.

Interesting fact: The idea comes from 'The Gay Science', a famous book by Friedrich Nietzsche. In his book, Nietzsche gives a description of a man who is living the same day over and over again. After its release, several writers emerged, claiming that the story was stolen from their idea.
Favorite quote: "I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl. We ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. *That* was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get *that* day over, and over, and over?"

4 comments:

  1. I did really like this movie, and its certainly a challenge for any filmaker because of its repetative story line and trying to keep the audience happy. Bill Murrey's finest film in my book, really made me laugh. A really good fair write up here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit that Mr. Murray has done a few fine acting jobs, but I can never get it out of my head what a total jerk the man is in "real life."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dempsey!
    Pat, I know nothing about Murray in real life, but I'd love to find out =)

    ReplyDelete