May 26, 2010

# 138 The Big Lebowski (1998)

Three Comrades

The Big Lebowski follows "The Dude" played by Jeff Bridges who is mistaken for a rich-namesake. Two thugs ruin his rug, and he seeks revenge with the help of his bowling teammates. Of course, the plot is a lot more complicated than what I've described. Twisted plotlines is something the Coen brothers have always been good at.

Needless to say, the movie is very quirky. It is the sixth movie by the Coen brothers that I've seen so far, and this one definitely has the quality. The best part of the movie was probably the cast. Most of all I enjoyed the acting of Jeff Bridges, Steve Buscemi, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Peter Stormare. It kind of made me wonder if Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare are friends since they have starred in so many movies together.

I think that the film would have been better without all of the weird dreams the Dude had every time he was knocked out. And even though the movie was fun to watch, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. To me it was more like an average comedy that depicted American people. The dialogues were funny, and the most hilarious moment was at the end of the film, when one of "The Dude's" friends scatters their other friend's ashes at the ocean, and they blow all over Lebowski. But I think that the Coen brothers focused too much on being funny. Still, the movie was mostly positively received by the critics, and made it on the list, so I guess may be there was something brilliant about it, something I did not notice.

Favorite quote: "That rug really tied the room together".
Interesting fact: The Dude is in every scene of the movie, with the exception of the scene where the Nihilists are ordering pancakes. This is in keeping with the traditional film-noir, in which the protagonist is the narrator and acts as the audience's guide throughout the film. 

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, you don't think this movie was a masterpiece?

    my favorite quote was: "Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
    Those "dream sequences" you spoke of were the "acid flashbacks!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Pat, crucify me for not liking it that much. May be it's a dog person thing ;)

    ReplyDelete